Password Reset Center
College of the Mainland’s password management system (PortalGuard) provides a convenient means for COM students, faculty, and staff to unlock their Active Directory account or reset their Active Directory password (Active Directory accounts are used to authenticate to WebAdvisor, Email, classroom and lab PCs, and COM’s wireless network).
Before you can begin using PortalGuard, you must first log in (using your current COM credentials) and provide a cell phone number and an alternative email address. PortalGuard will send you temporary one-time passwords to your cell phone and/or alternative email address in the event you ever forget your password and need to reset it.
The instructions below show you what you need to do:
Getting Started – Registering your Cell Phone and Alternate Email
- You can access ‘Password Management’ by going to: https://password.com.edu/
- Enter your username.
- Enter your current COM password and click <Log On>.
- After entering your username and password information, you will first be presented with 10 questions over two pages. Provide answers to whichever questions you wish. You will need to answer at least 5 of the questions. Use the >> and << buttons to cycle between questions 1-5 and 6-10. Click <Continue> when done.
- Next you will be prompted to enter your cell phone number and your cell phone provider (such as Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.). Click <Continue>.
- PortalGuard will send a one-time temporary password via text message to the cell phone number you provided. Upon receipt of the temporary password, enter it and click <Continue>. Please be careful reading and entering the temporary password. It is case-sensitive and could contain letters and numbers.
- If you entered the correct temporary password you will receive the message “End-User Self Service. Self-Service Action Successful”. Click the link “Click here to try to continue logging in.”
- You will now be prompted to enter an alternate email address. Please note that this is any email address other than your COM address (such as gmail, Hotmail, yahoo, etc.). After entering your alternate email, click <Continue>.
- PortalGuard will send a one-time temporary password to your alternate email address. Using a different browser window (or your mobile device) open the email from PortalGuard and enter the temporary password. Again please be careful reading and entering the password.
- Upon receiving the message “End-User Self Service. Self-Service Action Successful”, click the link “Click here to try to continue logging in.”
- After successfully registering your cell phone and alternative email, you will see the Account Management home page. You can log in any time and update this information as needed. Notice that the cell phone number and alternative email address is displayed. .
- Click the “Log Out” link.